Monday, June 8, 2009

Me Fail English? Quick Follow Up

There are correct and incorrect ways to pronounce the following words:
  • aunt;
  • scallops;
  • iron; and
  • tournament.
Aunt is not pronounced in such a way to confuse the word with an insect. It is pronounced the same way as haunt, gaunt, and taunt.

Scallops is pronounced the way Maritime fishermen who gather them for you pronounce it; the same way you pronounce mall, stall or ball.

Iron has 2 syllables. I and ron. My friends say I pronounce it like I Ron, but they're just stupid. It is not I-earn; the O is there for a reason.

Tour. Nament. Tour. Nament. Tour nament. Tournament. Not Ternament.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally someone believes me in regards to Aunt (haunt) People need to utilize the language much more better.

G Valentino said...

The pronunciation of "Aunt" seems to be something we east coasters do a little better than Central Canadians. Everyone always looks at me funny here when I say it the right way, like I'm putting on airs.

DJ double A said...

How many syllables are there in the word "Fredericton"?

Don Mills said...

Re: Fredericton: Depends on how you spell Minto.

treesaw said...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/iron

Don Mills said...

damnit!

G Valentino said...

But...on the iron note:

When I think of element, or for straightening out my clothing: IRON

When I play golf, I am a master with my 5 IREN. (That is true actually...I dunno why but I can put that ball anywhere I want with a 5 iron. If I could putt with it, they'd be talking about Panda Valentino instead of Tiger Woods).

(And to be completely stereotypical, I pretty much assume that any pronunciation my mother uses is correct, and thus we both over-pronounce every word we say. Drives my father and sister batty.)