Friday, June 26, 2009

2009 NHL Entry Draft Diary

One of my favourite columnists is Bill Simmons. Occasionally, Bill will post a running diary for an event, whether it’s the SuperBowl, the NBA draft or the season finale of Real World. In fact, he did one last night for the NBA draft. I thought I’d pay homage (I think people say homage when they really mean I stole this idea from so and so) to Bill with my running diary of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, or as they say in Montreal "2009 Repechage". Also, I’ve got nothing better to do tonight and I’ll be watching the draft, so why not?

5:14 – I’m home from work, the draft is 1:46 away and I’m watching Around the Horn. I’m guessing they won’t mention the draft. I am also curious about Garth Snow. Have you seen him on TV this week? The guy is huge. He has broad shoulders which makes me wonder if all that talk about him wearing oversized pads was founded (it probably was). So I’m going to Google Garth Snow.

He’s 6ft 3, 200 lbs, or was during his playing career. So maybe these pads were his size:


Wow, also found this photo:



I’m guessing that’s not Garth’s family. See, it’s not just the young Habs that like to have some fun.

5:17 – I’m starting to re-taste that shawarma. I should have gone to the rib festival instead. The GM ad is on. Does that GM restart, rebuild, we’re all better now annoy anyone else? You know how I feel about the GM thing.

5:20 – Fox Harbour, NS is spectacular, if you can afford the $325/night room plus $225 green fee. You have to be a guest at the resort to golf. It’s not as bad as I thought. Plus, you gotta prop up that economy.

5:28 – The new Cowboys stadium kinda looks like a bike helmet:


5:29 – No NHL draft mention on Around the Horn, let’s see what the PTI guys have to say.

5:50 – An ad for the NHL draft summarizing Vinny Lecavalier’s career just came on. Why are you teasing me? We all know he won’t be a Hab.

5:59 – No NHL draft mention on PTI, a sports talk show, but a 2 minute segment on Michael Jackson. REALLY? And Wilbon chooses to remember him pre 1984. Come on Wilbon. His history is his history. You can’t just separate the good from the bad.

I’m surprised about the lack of NHL content. They chatted about the NHL every night during the playoffs. I thought the league turned a corner with the PTI guys. Oh, they just said, more coming up including the NHL draft, but only the Americans get to see it. Blast! No more updates until the draft starts, unless there’s something important on SportsCentre.

7:00 – TSN’s 2009 NHL Entry Draft coverage begins with everyone asking “who will Garth Snow select first overall?” My money’s on John Tavares. TSN, the Toronto Sports Network has been building this guy up for years (he’s from the greater Bippity area © GValentino). My guess is he’ll be a Jason Spezza type; lots of offensive talent, but mistake prone and a defensive liability.

7:02 – Victor Hedman baby pictures?!?!.

7:04 – First trade of the night? Pronger to the Flyers? He’s just what the Flyers need to get dirtier. TSN is saying it happened, but nothing confirmed yet.

7:13 – Bettman’s on stage with Henri Richard and Cournoyer in an obvious attempt to not get booed. The crowd doesn’t boo, until Bettman speaks, in broken French. Even Helen Keller could speak French better than the Weasel.

7:18 – The New York Islanders select Tavares. Biggest non-surprise of the year. I like that Snow tried to build suspense, but everyone knew they’d pick Tavares (even though Hedman is the better choice). They need a poster boy to get a new arena build and with 10,000 plus fans in Nassau waiting, and wanting Tavares, there was no way he wasn’t going to be their first selection.

Blob Mackenzie is going over Tavares’ OHL stats. I may eat my words about his talent; he broke Gretzky’s record as a 16 year old and is the OHL all time leading goal scorer (though he played 4 years).

7:25 – It’s confirmed, the Flyers send Sbisa, Lupul and 2 first round picks to Anaheim for Pronger. I hate the Flyers. I hate Pronger. I hate them both more now.

7:26 – Brian Lawton (first overall pick in 1983 – I thought it was Yzerman, have to look that up – Stevie Y was 4th) selects Victor Hedman. Another non-surprise…Duchene will go next to the Avs.

Hedman sounds like he’ll be a good D man. 6 foot 6. He was a great player at the World Junior Championships this year and has been playing against men in Sweden for a year already. 7:35 - No more pick-by-pick updates.

I’ll update for trades, Habs picks/news and any other interesting items (like how many times the Toronto Sports Network cuts to Brian Burke (4 and counting).

7:40 – Duchene is from the same city – Haliburton – as Bernie Nicholls. Bernie won’t make the Hall of Fame, but he was a great player. AND Duchene was a hug Avs fan growing up, with signed Sakic and Roy (the greatest goalie ever) jerseys. Good for him. He fist pumped when Hedman went to Tampa, knowing he’d end up an Av.

7:51 – Evander Kane has 7% body fat. I think I ate 7% body fat in the pig’s cheeks we had at Play on Sunday night.

8:02 – Columbus trades its 2 picks for 4 Islander picks. The Isles move up their next two picks up (next being 16th) and the Jackets get 2 extra picks. Smart move by Columbus. According to Brian “great hair” Lawton, picks 5 to 50 are pretty much a coin toss. Must be one of those crazy Dungeon and Dragons coins that have 45 sides.

8:09 – Leafs GM Burke gets booed. Excellent. They select Nazem Kadri, another GTA local, and Pierre McGuire thinks that Bryan Murray, Sens GM, is incensed. Pierre thinks the Sens wanted Kadri.

Holy shit. Burke is wired for TSN. Of course. I shouldn’t be surprised anymore but it’s so blatant that I’m watching the Toronto Sports Network. I wonder if this is on RDS. Yes it is, but not in HD (I hate Rogers cable). But hey, it’s Jacques Demers. My friend dated his daughter, in grade 3.

Kadri’s favourite team used to be the Montreal Canadiens. Now it’s the Leafs (according to Kadri). A true Habs fan would not have put on that Leafs jersey. A true Habs fan would have pulled an Eric Lindros. I think I hate Kadri.

(That last line was obviously a joke, but I have to write a post one day about cheering for a jersey. That’s pretty much what we do. And being friends with me because we cheer for the same jersey. Throw in some Chomsky and drunken talk at Scotiabank Place. BAM! There’s your post.)

8:27 – Speaking of Scotiabank Place, the Sens pick Jared Cowen. The 6 foot 5, 216 pound Jared Cowen. That should fill a part of the void left by Chara’s departure. Some, Chara is 6 foot 9. Murray tells Duthie he can’t see a Heatley trade happening tonight. And I’m telling you, I don’t see a Lecavalier to Montreal trade happening ever.

8:38 – Alright, it’s Friday night. I’m outta here. Check out TSN for more picks. And let me know if Lecavalier ends up in MTL.

6 comments:

G Valentino said...

Some notes on your notes:

1) Bike helmet? I've found that the new Cowboys stadium reminds me a bit of the old GI Joe headquarters: like there's all the stuff it SHOULD have, plus this weird little ramp think that kinda looks like a missile launcher, but please don't think about it too much.

2) Even if it weren't going to suck, the GI Joe movie would suck anyway. I also hated the first Transformers movie, so I'm perplexed as to why people are surprised the second one is sucking like Howard Berger in a post-game interview.

3) Try living in Bippity Town and listening to the Fan590. Howard Berger is such a homer he makes the guys on the BoSox broadcasts on NESN look like Peter Gammons. The day before the draft he had to come on radio TWICE during Prime time Sports with such nuggets as "Brian Burke may trade up, but he may not, or he may stay put." and this lovely one "If Brian Burke trades up, which he may not, or even if he doesn't, which he may not, he's one of the greatest GMs ever and if the Leafs improve any, which they may not, he's a lock for executive of the year, which he is." He said all of this with his mouth full of an unidentified substance.

4) Also he asked Tavares: "There are some great teams in the league, but the only one really worth playing for is the Leafs. Am I right, or am I right?"

5) God I hate you, Howard Berger. You are such a homer, and you spread lies about people saying they mocked other people for having cancer. How you have a job, let alone can look at yourself in the mirror, if a mystery to me.

6) You know, every time I go to the Greater Minto Area I try to find the Demers hockey card from the Fredericton Express. That has to be worth something.

7) Kadri is going to be an interesting thing to watch in Bippity Town. Why? He's a practicing Muslim. Now, this is a city where people were once pondering how to use to Charter of Rights and Freedoms to make sure that the previous Leafs regime didn't have so many Europeans on the team (True story...thank you very much Norm Rumack, I think). SO...the second he falters a little, expect to hear "He can't love the game as much as we do, he's from Lebanon after all."

Don Mills said...

It does look like the GI Joe base.

I feel the same about Transformers. They made that movie for me and I hated it. So why even bother with part 2.

My friend who dated Demers' daughter gave me the Express card with Demers as coach. Also Claude Julien sporting a 'stache.

G Valentino said...

Gah! Too awesome.

Also...Brian Burke in the Globe today on being booed, and I'm actually quoting real stuff here:

"I don't give a rat's ass about that," Burke said. "I will tell you this: the best hockey fans on the planet are not in Montreal, they're in Toronto. When we host this event in a couple years and Montreal goes up to pick this will seem like child's play for the booing they will get in Toronto."

So "Montreal fans, although most were alive the last time THEIR team won a cup, are classless, but we're not so we'll show them what good fans we are by being even more classless."

Also, I'm sure those fans in Anaheim and Vancouver were pretty good when they were paying his salary. His experience with Peter Zezel showed how good he is at evaluating fans reactions to things.

Don Mills said...

Most overrated GM ever. Bryan Murray built half the Anaheim team that won the cup. The Nucks did nothing while he was there, other than assault Steve Moore. The Whalers accomplished zilch.

And good point about Zezel. Most people don't know that story. Prick.

7th Woman said...

Yep, Garth is a VERY BIG MAN. If you want to see oversized pads, take a look at Chris Osgoods shoulder pads. They look like curtain rods on him.

Oh... and Garth's wife actually took that famous party shot... a long time ago....

Don Mills said...

Thank you 7th Woman. Osgood's are big on him, though the size of shoulder pads is now controlled by the league.