Wednesday, June 17, 2009

For Rachelle (or in Defense of me)

I got an email the other day from my friend Rachelle. It read:
You should blog about bad cyclists!

I could tell she was adamant about it because she used an exclamation point. Rachelle can get excited about things, but I've rarely seen exclamation points in her emails (side note, is it e-mail or email? I like hyphens, but it seems unnecessary).

So I responded with:
I blogged about the ones on the bike path, sort of, in The Most Important Lesson I Ever Learned.

Do you mean the street ones? I’m probably one of them.

She said:
Yes.

Not stopping at red lights
Driving on the sidewalk
Driving the opposite direction on a one way street
Driving the opposite direction on a one way street on the sidewalk or in a bike lane

I hate that

I responded to her that I did all those things so I didn't think I'd blog about it. She said URGH!

So after work tonight, I hopped on my bike, biked the wrong way down a one way street, hopped on the sidewalk for a spell (biking the wrong way), then sped down Bay Street running red lights and stop signs. Then I see this pretty girl with a big red/grey dog wave at me. It was Rachelle. She caught me (though maybe she didn't realize it) in the middle of my biggest streak of running red lights/stop signs. So then I thought maybe I should blog about it.

I get where Rachelle is coming from. The rules of the road should apply to cyclists. Though I have my reasons for breaking the rules.

I only bike the wrong way down certain one way streets; the ones I live on. I live on the corner of two one way streets. So if I want to get to Bank street, I have to go two blocks out of my way to get somewhere that is half a block a way. I think it's OK to bike the wrong way down the street here. Plus, there is very little traffic on my street.

I only bike on sidewalks for my own safety (and ensure the safety of others when I do). For example, when I'm biking down O'Connor (a one way street I bike the proper direction on), there are plenty of cars taking sudden turns, opening doors unexpectedly or blocking your path by inching into a right turn. I like to think I can anticipate what they are going to do (by remembering the world is full of stupid people), so sometimes I hop on to the sidewalk to protect myself, while ensuring I'm not endangering others.

Another time I ride on the sidewalk is when I head to the Ottawa River bike path. I like to ride on the bike paths and sometimes the only way to access them is to ride on the sidewalk for a stretch at first. So I don't see anything wrong with my sidewalk riding.

I also run red lights and stop signs. I do it because I like to ride fast. I think Rachelle may have a point here. I have no reasonable excuse except the Ricky Bobby slogan of "I wanna go fast".

I never bike the wrong way down a bike lane. It annoys me too. I almost hit this guy today riding the wrong way down a bike lane. What ticks me off the most (and I'm guessing Rachelle) is that on the other side of the street or on the next street over there is a bike lane that is heading in the right direction that those people can use.

So Rachelle, it was nice seeing you on my ride today. Sorry I didn't stop to say hi, but I like to ride fast and I was setting a record for fastest speed down Bay street while running all stop signs. I hope you still invite me over to see your new deck.

9 comments:

G Valentino said...

Gah! I'm halfway done writing a similar post for my site. I want my thunder back, damnit!

Don Mills said...

tag team blogging.

Rachelle said...

Donnie, if you want to ride fast, head up to the parkway. It's a beautiful long stretch of paved road that goes on for quite a while without any stops. There are a few lights but far enough between that you can catch that record-breaking time you're seeking. Although I must say that compared to other cities, Ottawa drivers are pretty conscious of the cyclists out there (at least until the snow falls). But there are always a few idiots that ruin it for everyone. Just as there are bad cyclists out there that give the good cyclists a bad rep. I've watched guys fly through red lights causing cars to have to slam on their breaks while I sat idle on my bike at the red light. Just as I've seen cars cut in front of cyclists, including myself, almost running them over. In fact just last year I was hit by a car. Luckily nothing serious. But I'm way more alert now. Cycling in the city is a chance you have to take but isn't so bad as long as you follow the rules. If you're too scared then don't bike in the city. There's nothing I hate more than walking my dog up a one way street and having a cyclist behind me on the sidewalk, going the opposite direction. I make sure to take up as much space on the sidewalk as possible and not let them by. I could go on and on but I won't. I will say this tho – the more lights you run and the more laws you break on your bike will only increase your chances of getting hurt. And what's worse than getting hit and killed, is getting hit and staying alive but in a vegetated state. Which could lead to the argument of helmet or no helmet. I think that goes without saying. Thanks for listening to me, and for voicing my concern even if you don't follow suit.

Rachelle said...

Oh, and yeah, come on by for a beer anytime!

Anonymous said...

I disagree with you rachelle that ottawa is cyclist friendly. I've ridden in many cities and for me, its one of the worst cities.

gc

Anonymous said...

hey it worked: my post from earlier...

Dont get me started about rules of the road in terms of cyclists.

I don't even want to mention what cars, taxis, buses, pedestrians do to frig up my daily ride to work. Were all guilty. I have been hit over 7 times, the last one being a j-walking pedestrian.

I don't get thefeeling that cyclists are welcome -just a pain for most people.

As for red lights, for me, its away to get out of everyone's way. But I always make sure no one will be affected by going through reds. There needs to be different rules for cyclists and drivers need to be taught tho watch for and be aware of us, just like they do for pedestrians.

It is a war zone out there. Cyclists do what they can to survive.

Anonymous said...

...if your one who jay walks or crosses a street when there are no cars around, then you can't comment on a cyclist going through a red. It almost entirely the same thing.

Lets not be hypocrits...

Phil said...

Don,

How about the seven people who have been hit by cars and one who died in the Ottawa area this past week? I want to see a post about that. Cause I am F'n pissed off but don't have the creative motivation you do. I am not entirely certain that the drivers were at fault in all cases (I believe one cyclist was going the wrong way down a road and one not wearing a helmet!!).

One comment I want to make on your post is regarding riding on sidewalks. I understand it may not be convenient to ride the two blocks south to find a two-way street. My feeling is that if we, as cyclists, wish to be given the same amount of respect as automobiles, than we should follow the same rules they do. You would not want a car careening down a sidewalk towards you, would you? I also think that you are being lazy (sorry). My experience is that drivers show the same laziness and we have to be better than them (yes I realize I drive a car as well). As a cyclist I have been approached many times by a car from behind who is in too big a rush to slow down to wait for an oncoming car to pass. Instead they fly by in their big fuckin pickup at 120 with sideview mirrors hanging out like death-wings. SCARY! They are too lazy, or in a rush, to wait the 10 seconds it would take to slow down and wait to pass and be on their merry freggin way.

Come on a bike ride with Rachelle and I. Lets go to Wakefield for lunch. Or better yet, lets not go for a bike ride. We will stay away from the morons in cars and have a nice smoked-rib dinner with salad on the Mesheau’s deck. With a few brew-skis!

/rant

Don Mills said...

phil, that was a horrible accident, but i don't know the details.

with respect to driving on the sidewalk, while i am lazy, i don't ride on the walk because i'm lazy, i go the wrong way down a one way because i'm lazy. i'm pretty good about it, but i know i shouldn't. i

its funny, coming home from bluesfest i ran a stop sign and almost got smoked. made me realize i should be more careful and following the rules may be a better idea. though i understand those cyclists were following the rules and it didn't work out.

anyway, no way i'm biking 100kms on my mountain bike, but ribs sounds good or a proper mountain ride.

later phil, enjoy your new house, i'll crash it later in august.