Friday, July 3, 2009

New Look Habs

I'm still trying to absorb all the changes the Montreal Canadiens have made since June 30th. I'm not sure I'm ready to write this post, but I may not be ready until midway through next season, so here we go.

I want to discuss the UFAs that didn't get signed first. I blogged about it recently and still think Bob Gainey erred by not signing Komisarek prior to the end of the season. It's clear now that Komisarek was the only UFA that Bob was interested in re-signing, though he did make an offer to Kovalev as well. Komisarek signed with the rival Leafs for a total of $2 million more, about $500,000 per season. Team 990, the Montreal sports radio station, is reporting that Komisarek wanted 8 years from Montreal, for less yearly money, but couldn't get it.

I'm not sure who I'm mad at most here. If the reports from Team 990 are true, why wouldn't you sign a stud defenseman to an 8 year deal, especially one that is only 27. Also, I think Gainey likely could have avoided all this by offering Komisarek a contract during the season.

On the other hand, I'm pissed at Komisarek. I understand it's his right as free agent to sign wherever he chooses, but to choose the Leafs is a kick in the gut to us Habs fans. I've heard some interviews with him lately saying he wanted a fresh start and to play in a hockey city. He also said all the right things about Montreal. I want to hate this guy so much, but I can't. He's a good guy and gave up his body every night for the Habs.

I'm torn about this all. I blame Gainey and Komisarek both. This could have been avoided and Komisarek would almost certainly be a captain someday (perhaps he would have been the next captain). It will take some time to figure out how I feel, probably not until the first Leafs - Habs game.

I think the defensive changes are a definite loss for the Habs. Spacek and Gill (I can't believe we have Gill, I hated that guy for so long) will not replace Komisarek and Schneider. I'm not getting any deeper into this. It's a fact that isn't up for discussion, so let's move on to the forwards.

The main UFA forwards, Koivu, Kovalev and Tanguay, that weren't re-signed may have been a purposeful changing of the guard. Saku Koivu has been with the Habs for 13 years. He's been the captain of the franchise for 10. He gave his heart and soul to the team and the city. Saku Koivu's foundation in Montreal helped raise millions of dollars over the years for cancer research and equipment in the city. Regardless of whether you think he should have stayed or gone, you cannot argue with what he gave to the team and the city; everything he had.

Kovalev had to go. I like Kovy more than most. He is probably the most talented stick handler in the league. He's also the most frustrating forward to watch in the league. He'll show up one night and not the next. If he did re-sign, I wouldn't have been upset, but I'm also not upset that he's not coming back.

Finally Tanguay was only here one year and was hurt for a good part of it. I didn't have time to develop an affinity for him so I won't really miss him.

As I've mentioned above, I believe this was a deliberate changing of the guard. For years, there have been rumours of dressing room battles within the Habs. I think Bob saw this as a way to change the culture of the dressing room. With Koivu, Kovy, Komisarek, and Higgins gone, the Habs just lost their captain and 3 people who have worn the A over the past 4 years. Now, we have Gomez, Cammalleri, and Gionta. We still don't know who will be the captain or the assistants, but we are certain the leadership of this team has changed. These guys are hard workers. Gomez and Gionta played for the Devils and should fit nicely into Martin's defensive system.

A lot of bloggers and reporters are saying that the changes at forward is a sideways move; the Habs didn't get better, they just changed three pieces for three equal pieces. I thought I'd look into this and compare the players involved since the lockout season.

First, the centres, Koivu and Gomez:

Koivu

GP G A Pts
72 17 45 62
81 22 53 75
77 16 40 56
65 16 34 50

Gomez


GP G A Pts
82 33 51 84
72 13 47 60
81 16 54 70
77 16 42 58

Gomez clearly has more upside, scoring 84 points the year after the lockout. With the exception of 2006/2007, Gomez has produced more points that Koivu each year. This is a step up. Also, Gomez is younger than Koivu and is being reunited with Gionta, his line mate the year he scored 85 points. I'd say this is an improvement.

You can't discuss the acquisition of Gomez without looking at what was given up, Higgins and McDonagh. Higgins was highly touted, expected to lead the Habs one day in scoring and as a captain or assistant. However, looking at Higgins' production, it didn't look like he was developing into that player. His best year was 2007/2008, scoring 27 goals and 25 assists, for 52 total points. This was also the only year he played a full season. Maybe Higgins will develop into that player someday, but I don't mind Gainey giving up on him, he wasn't getting there and may need a change to be the player he can be (see John LeClair).

Losing McDonagh worries me more. The kid (he's in university) is expected to be a large, stay at home defense man. I saw him play at the World Juniors this year and he is big and good. I suspect he'll be the seen as the steal of the trade when the Rangers look back in a few years.

Next, we'll compare Kovalev and Gionta.

Kovalev


GP G A Pts
69 23 42 65
73 18 29 47
82 35 49 84
78 26 39 65

Gionta


GP G A Pts
82 48 41 89
62 25 20 45
82 22 31 53
81 20 40 60

Looking at the stats, this may be a push. Both had seasons with 80 plus points and seasons with less than 50 points. If you look at the trend, you see that Kovalev's production is getting better, but let's not forget that Gionta is being reunited with Gomez. This should help them both. Also, Kovalev isn't getting any younger. Finally, I doubt that you have to give Gionta a few days off to find himself and start playing like he cares. Even if Kovalev's stats were markedly better than Gionta's, I'd say it's addition by subtraction. I can live with this. I just don't look forward to playing Kovalev in the future.

Finally, let's look at Tanguay and Cammallerri:

Tanguay
GP G A Pts
71 29 49 78
81 22 59 81
78 18 40 58
50 16 25 41

Cammallerri
GP G A Pts
80 26 29 55
81 34 46 80
63 19 28 47
81 39 43 82

I'd say that Cammallerri is the winner here, though it is a tight race. Cammallerri had 2 seasons with 80 or more points; Tanguay only missed it by 2 points in 2005/2006. Cammallerri appears more durable as well, only having one season playing less than 80 games. Tanguay has only played 80 or more games once since the lockout. I'll take Cammallerri's durability and call the point production a push.

So, Montreal may be slightly better offensively but are more durable than in previous years. They are worse off defensively. If Montreal signs another defense man, or one comes up through the system (hi there PK), then maybe we'll be a better team this year. Or, maybe we'll be better just because we've lost a guy who only shows up when he wants to and we get 2 guys who have won 2 cups each with the Devils.

I still don't know how to feel about this. I'm going to miss Koivu and Komisarek. I'll even miss Kovalev's talent. I'm glad I compared the new guys with the old and wrote this entry (though it may be one of my worst posts) to help me figure out how I feel. Too bad it didn't work. Tell me what you think.

No comments: