Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The National Part Deux (or Shut up and Sing)

I saw the National again tonight, but this time at Bluesfest. They were much tighter than the first time I saw them earlier this year. The show was great and I really have nothing bad to say about their set or their sound; it was awesome. But two things happened at the show that grinded my gears.

First, there was some bad weather. It rained about 3 songs into the show. It's been raining regularly Bluesfest and we now go prepared with raincoats and umbrellas. So we open said umbrella and apparently obstructed the view of some biatch behind us (you'll see why she's a biatch shortly). I appreciate that an umbrella can obstruct your view. I also appreciate you coming to tell me that the umbrella is obstructing your view in a polite manner rather than poking my girlfriend and saying "Are you serious?!?!There are people behind you!" No shit? There are people behind us at a concert? I had no idea. Whatever happened to politeness? There really is a better way to say that and it's not that hard. It involves a magic word that I'm sure Bert and Ernie taught you once.

The second thing that annoyed me has annoyed me with bands for years. From the Dixie Chicks to U2 and even to Pearl Jam, bands have felt the need to pass their political and social agendas on to their fans during shows. I don't mind if bands are political or work towards raising awareness for a cause or do whatever it is they do. In fact I applaud it. But I don't like it when a band stops playing a third of the way through their less than one hour set, grabs a sheet of paper (you didn't even memorize it?) and wastes five minutes telling me about World Aid. I came to see you sing. Shut up and sing.

Great show though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everythig sucks, all things should go ahead and die. Just like me.

G Valentino said...

I think if you can integrate it into the show, it works. Pearl Jam, well, in a way you know what you're getting when you come to a show: I was amazed when people complained about Bu$shleaguer (like really, you didn't KNOW they were political). And at least you get a three hour show to make up for it. The National did a bit of a similar thing in Toronto, and again it was awkward because (1) they aren't an overtly political band and (2) it kinda ground it all to a halt.

As for U2: Don't tell me about getting rid of greed and saving the world in a commercial for a freakin' smartphone.

Anonymous said...

you really are a curmudgeonly old fart
I thought you were just sayiing it...
but you live it baby!

Tony