Saturday, July 11, 2009

Freebird

I saw Steve Earle last night. I've been wanting to see Steve Earle for about 20 years, since I first heard "Guitar Town". We parted ways sometimes after the release of "The Hard Way", his fourth album. However, I rediscovered him when he released "Jerusalem" and went through his back catalogue to see what I missed. I missed a lot, some of his best work.

It was a great show. Just Steve, an acoustic and a harmonica, though the guitar was replaced by other string instruments from time to time. Steve just released an album called Townes, a tribute, consisting entirely of Townes Van Zandt covers. It's a beautiful album and makes for a beautiful show, soft, quiet and touching.

I hated being at that show last night. Not because of Steve or the music, it was a great show, hitting some classics like "My Old Friend the Blues", my favourite lyrical song of all time "Poncho and Lefty" and some of his renaissance songs like "Jerusalem" and "City of Immigrants". I hated the show because of all you one hit wonder lovers that can't just sit and enjoy a performance. You have to get loaded and yell out your request all night long. Note the singular use of the word request. Every drunk meathead at the Steve Earle show knew one Steve Earle song and felt like they had to yell at him to play it all night. Did you really think he wouldn't play it? Or, an even better question is; if you only wanted to hear one song, why did you even go to the show?

At one point during the show a particularly annoying drunk was yelling the title of the song he (and most other drunks) wanted to hear. Steve says "You better be careful man or you're gonna puke on that girl in front of you. I heard you the first time and I'm either gonna play it or I'm not." In other words, fuck you. That made my night.

Of course he played the song. My girlfriend noted that he didn't seem to enjoy it. I believe her exact words were "he looked like he was a slave to that song." He is. It's a fine song, but he's released 10 albums over the 21 years since that song has been released. It's time to move on.

3 comments:

double a said...

I thought that it was just East coast audiences that were so rude. The best option is always to make the effort to see this kind of act in a theater or church.

I had similar experiences at the Stanfest a couple of weeks ago. I actually told a couple of people to "shut the fuck up". It seemed harsh after I said it, but people seemed to clearly understand my intent.

Jealous of you seeing Steve, wish I was there.

Don Mills said...

That is a bit harsh and we have to expect that kind of behaviour at festivals. I feel badly for Steve and whoever else has to endure that shit.

G Valentino said...

Actually the same happens in Toronto, and happens in the smaller venues also where you think it would not be an issue. Some people just feel the need to control the show.

We saw Eddie Vedder at one of his solo acoustic gigs at Massey Hall, and even he seemed to tire of it early. He started to tell a story about an experience in Toronto. From memory:

"So, I know Neil played here and that's a big moment. One time when I played Toronto..."

"WWOOOO 1971"

Eddie ran his hand over his face and said, "Man, shut the fuck up, you don't even know the fuckin' story!" And it turned out it was a story about playing with Mike Watt and Dave Grohl at Lee's Palace.

Now, a "shut the fuck up" can be harsh, but sometimes it's needed. Yell a request if the show is tending in that direction, but if you persist, you are impacting on the show for people around you, and also making the show about you. I didn't pay to hear or see you between every one.

Okay...rant over.