Friday, January 15, 2010

RIP Jay Reatard

Jay Reatard's show was short and sparse. He may have played for a total of 30 or 45 minutes but they were the greatest 30 or 45 minutes I've ever spent at the Babylon night club. I don't recall him saying a word between songs but I do recall the vigor with which he strummed the chords to My Shadow and his long, curly red hair flying around violently.

Jay Reatard died earlier this week and many of you don't know who he is. Who he was was one of North America best young punk rockers. And by punk, this is what I mean:
If you are unfamiliar with the incident or the widely circulated YouTube video that came out afterward, the story goes something like this: Reatard (real name Jay Lindsey) hit the stage at Toronto's Silver Dollar at about 11 p.m. He and his band were in the middle of their fourth song when one audience member sauntered on stage and managed to disconnect Reatard's microphone. Reatard swung the concert goer around by the shirt and landed a punch square in the young man's face. Then he promptly packed up his things and walked out of the venue.

2 comments:

G Valentino said...

Sadly, I never got to see Jay. I think the last time he was here I begged off with a case of 'Well, I'll catch him the next time.'

Looking at this show it reminds me what punk rock, specifically the American Hardcore variety used to be like. Black Flag played aggressively, and Husker Du was ShortFastLoud. and also didn't waste time with stage chatter.

The comments thread, like all YouTube comments thread is interesting, with some people saying that he was a prima donna and they were just there to have a good time. It just me think of two little quotes. One was Pearl Jam at a show in Chicago this year - 'We take requests. We don't take orders', and Chrissy Hynde's advice to girl rockers "Rock is Eff you, not Eff me".

G Valentino said...

On the plus side, I did get to see one of Elliott Smith's last shows, and I'll admit there was no hint that night that what going to happen would happen.