Monday, May 25, 2009

Turn Off the Damn Lights

Just turn them off. It’s not that hard. You’ll save some money on your power bill. You won’t save the world, not alone anyhow, but haven’t you ever heard the axiom “do no harm”?

Why do you need that light on anyway? You’re not even in that room. So people will know you are home? Well, I can sort of understand that, but who drops by without a text, phone call or email anymore? If you must, can you at least use a CFL bulb? You’ll save money and do less harm at the same time.

While you’re at it, turn that TV off. You’re not watching it. Oh, you’re listening to the game? It’s probably on the radio or a station on the internet. Your computer is likely on anyhow, so why not listen to it that way.

And hey, when I see you outside smoking tomorrow, that cigarette butt doesn’t have to be thrown on the ground. There’s an ashtray right there in front of you. It’s tall and silver and has a picture of a cigarette on it. You know the one I’m talking about. Smoke is billowing from it. You can't miss it. Sometimes there’s no ashtray, but I’m pretty sure you can find a garbage can. Step on it, then pick it back up and chuck it in there. It’s not that hard. You may get your hands dirty, but you can wash them. Doorknobs probably have worse things on them anyway.

When you're waiting for your friend at the corner store, turn off the engine. You don't need to let it idle. In fact, some cities will give you a fine. You can still listen to your ipod with the engine battery set to accessory.

Go to city hall or home depot and get a blue and a black box (more if your city accommodates). They're not expensive and it's not that hard to sort your waste into recyclables. In fact, some cities provide them for free.

I’m no tree hugger and I’m not perfect. I don’t protest to be a world saver. I even waste from time to time. In fact, as I type this I’m listening to the Nuggets/Lakers game on TV. But all the lights in my apartment are off. I throw butts on the ground sometimes too, but never when there’s an alternative near and I always try to carry film cases in my pack to put them in when there are no ashtrays or trash cans around. The cases lock in the nasty smell and I can chuck’em when I find a trash can. I just do the little things whenever I can. It may not help, but it sure doesn’t hurt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

in the house and home, efficiency is one of the biggest headfakes out there. efficiency does not lead to conservation - efficiency lowers the price of energy. so what do we end up doing? consuming more.

think about it.

Don Mills said...

saving money isn't the goal, its the byproduct of the efficiency goal. i agree that what you say could happen. the point is to always consume less, not just until the price comes down.