Friday, September 24, 2010

It's Not the Band I Hate, It's Their Fans

I’m pretty sure Chris Murphy or Patrick Pentland or whoever wrote Coax Me wasn’t referring to the Montreal Canadiens, but I am. I stole this line, not only from a pop band who had huge potential and spoiled it, but from two friends. Unbeknownst to them (see how I stole another Sloan line, clever huh?), they both use that line. Specifically, Meesh uses it to describe Habs fans; that’s the slant I’m taking.

You see, Habs fans are typically referred to as the smartest fans in hockey. They know the rules, they know when a player is playing well on both sides of the ice (goal scoring is not all that matters) and they know when a player isn’t. But I take exception to that view. Is it smart to boo your number one goalie after he lets in his first goal of the season in the first game of the preseason? A game that doesn’t even matter? That’s what happened on Wednesday night. Carey Price, loved and hated equally in Montreal, let in a soft goal, his first of the pre-season, and was immediately booed by the fans in attendance. Likely 10,000 people since the other half of the 20,000 in attendance like him and chanted his name as he took the ice.

There have been tons of blogs, news stories and tweets about this so I’m just reinforcing the negative here, but I have to rant from time to time. The best I’ve heard was from Dave Stubbs who writes for the Montreal Gazette (http://www.habsinsideout.com/) who said, in a series of tweets:

Fans' booing of #Habs Price reminds me of my 1980s-90s days as a ref in the WWF (now WWE)... #Habs

Fans would throw garbage at villains in ring, then stand outside Forum in -20C winter to get their autographs #Habs

It’s no wonder people hate us (Habs fans). You fuckers make them hate us. Ole your ass.

1 comment:

Mark Goren said...

I can't for the life of me understand the logic of the fan base here in Montreal. How in the world does it makes sense or help the team to so viciously get into the #1 goalie's head this early into the new calendar year? If you love the team, then LOVE the team. Show them your support, don't try to show them the door. The only thing all this can really accomplish is to turn this year into yet another wasted season.

Price is here. He's not going anywhere. Let him know that we're behind him, not against him.

Fuckers.