Sunday, October 4, 2009

You Can't Buy "Being Green"

I wake up to the radio every morning. It annoys me and I'm not sure why I do it. I suppose I should just use an alarm sound, a CD, an MP3, or anything other than those 3 jerks on the Team 1200 who never talk about sports unless it's about the Swedish God Daniel Alfredsson. But my rant today isn't aimed at the Three Jerks on the Radio. No, today I've got a gripe with a particular advertisement that I hear every morning.

The ad is for a hot tub and the selling point is that this particular brand of hot tub is "green". I'm not going to name the company because they shouldn't get any free air. But I just don't see how buying a hot tub could ever be considered being green. If you buy a hot tub you are going to be using more water and energy than you currently use. Being green means consuming less energy and less water than you currently do. In fact, you should consume as little as possible. Being green does not mean buying a product that consumes less energy and water than its counterparts, especially when that particular product is one that you can live without.

Jerks.

No comments: